Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Tuesday in the Post Star

I'll start with Bob Henke's outdoor column.

Scale aside, returning to the impact on wildlife, the apple core tosser sees the fact that something might eat it as a good thing. In actuality, it may be a very bad thing. Current studies estimate that somewhere around one million wild animals are struck by vehicles on our highways every day. This number, while sobering, actually tallies only those animals large enough to be noticed.

Think about it as a chain reaction.

You dump the remains of your soda out the car window. Maybe you even feel good about yourself for not throwing it out cup and all. As it warms in the sun, the sugars become detectable and it attracts insects from flies to butterflies. These attract predatory insects, frogs, toads, other amphibians and birds that are hit and killed by vehicles, along with some of the insects. Insects that are killed, along with some of the sweets as well, attract small rodents.

These, both the living and those that get squashed, attract predatory birds that get hit. The dead bodies in turn attract carrion eaters ranging from raptors to skunks, foxes, raccoons, opossums, coyotes, bobcats and even bears. Each one of these that gets hit, in turn attracts not only more scavengers but more insects to start the cycle over again.

That's something I've never considered as I tossed my apple core or banana peel, thinking it was alright because, "Hey, it's bio-degradable." Consider me reformed. 

Today's Frazz:

Frazz

I believe a better vocabulary and attempting to use the correct word is important. I spent a minute or two coming up with reformed up above after considering chastised and chastened. Not to say that it's necessary to use ten dollar words. There are many common, or once common, words that maybe don't get used enough. The word perplexed came to me this morning. It's one I don't use or hear often, but it has a nice sound to it and it's one of those words that sort of sound like what they mean. Oops, that calls for a big one.

And a good letter today in support of Mike Derrick. 

I am writing this letter in support of Mike Derrick for Congress. I first met Mike in October at an event where he was speaking. Our meeting was brief with mere pleasantries, but as I listened to him describe his extensive military experience as a leader and commander and his educational experience as a teacher at West Point, I couldn’t help but think, “This man was made to lead the 21st District.” 

And there's more, but that's the lede. 

No comments:

Post a Comment