Friday, October 7, 2016

Green Lunacy is Spreading

Apparently it has infected the Post Star. Matt Funiciello is in there today babbling about how he'll be happy to finish second. And they found a few political advisers to agree that "yes, that's possible."

“If I come in second, it’s amazing forward movement,” said Funiciello, who is running in the 21st Congressional District against U.S. Rep. Elise Stefanik, R-Willsboro, and Democrat Mike Derrick, a retired Army colonel from Peru, in Clinton County. 

Amazing forward movement is not strong enough. Miracle on the order of fish and loaves.

“If we beat a major party, whether it’s Elise or Mike, that’s never been done in a (three-way) congressional race, ever, as far as we know,”

And it's not going to now.

Funiciello said he is not out to promote himself but to build the Green Party as an alternative party.

And destroy the Democratic Party. 

Latest incarnation of my proposed LTTE: 

I’d like to comment on Matt Funiciello’s latest attempt to extort Democrats into not running a candidate for Congress. Now or ever. “I’m intending to, whether I win or not on election night, announce on election night, that it is time for the Democrats to stop running.” He’s been announcing that since 2014. It’s moldy. “I think what’s going to happen is I’m going to beat the Democrat in this election cycle.” Yeah, okay. As flawed a candidate as Aaron Woolf was; he beat Mr. Funiciello by 200 votes in Warren County, won Essex and Clinton Counties outright and received three times the number of votes overall. “In the next race hopefully Democrats will say, you know what, let’s let Funiciello have a shot at this. Let’s let Greens have a shot at it.” Keep hoping. If no one else runs, I will. And I’ve been living in the district for 59 years and was a Democrat out of the womb, raised on tales of FDR.

Far be it from me to discount the amusement value of the ads the Stefanik campaign would run in a one on one race. I can see some of his Greensplaining, from the recent debate, to the folks in the Adirondacks in a TV spot. He’d be as popular as the APA upstate. And then there are some of his other interesting ideas.

The idea that the Democrats defer to the guy that finished a distant third two years ago makes as much sense as many of Funiciello’s other ideas. If he was a paragon just for not being a member of the major parties, I’d vote for him. He’s not. And by the way, how delusional does anyone have to be to think he has a chance of finishing second? 

Glad I still have 5 or 6 days to rewrite over and over before I can submit it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment