Thursday, November 10, 2016

Post-Election Letter

I gave serious thought to canceling my subscription to the PS over the Stefanik/Funiciello endorsement. I'd miss writing letters too much, though. Afraid they might not accept them from non-subscribers. Besides, they may disappoint me from time to time, but I believe in supporting a local paper.

So, this letter is in response to comments made in this article.

“Hallelujah!”

That was Hartford Supervisor Dana Haff’s reaction when he heard the news this morning that Donald Trump had won the presidency.

Haff went to bed at 2 a.m., still not sure whether his candidate would win.

At the beginning of the night, he was “extremely worried,” he said.

But his worry turned to joy as the night progressed. He turned on MSNBC just to watch the Democrats on the live show suffer.

He knew Trump voters were finally getting their message across when a commentator said, “We weren’t listening to rural America.”

And then, finally, one of them acknowledged that wages have not budged for the average worker in more than three decades. Possibly, a commentator suggested, people are so desperate for a change that they were willing to vote for anyone who would try something different.

“This was reality hitting them in the face!” Haff said. “We’ve had two Republican administrations. We’ve had eight years of Obama. The take-home wage of workers is actually less than it was 16 years ago.”

Slowly, it began to sink in that voters weren’t simply sending a message. Trump was winning.

“I was reveling at their depression. I started thinking, ‘Oh my God, he might actually pull it off!’” Haff said.

Yes, those comments. My letter:

Hallelujah (praise the Lord) seems like an odd exclamation to make upon the election of someone as immoral as Donald Trump. Please don't make me go through the evidence to support that assertion. Inform me that we're all sinners if you're as willing to overlook the sins of Hillary Clinton as you are those of Trump.
     
We read in 1 John (that's one John to Trump) 9-10: "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word in not in us." I can sooner see Clinton confessing to sin than Trump.
     
I know good Christians, great Christians that voted for him. Presumably, at least in some cases, over abortion. Some years back, Trump said, "I'm very pro-choice, I hate the concept of abortion. I hate it. I hate everything it stands for. I cringe when I listen to people debating the subject. But you still-I just believe in choice." Sounds kind of like the Democratic Party's "rare, but legal" position. He also said he would not ban partial-birth abortion. Maybe his position is firm now. Want to hear what he said about gun control?
     
I hope to get the chance to revel in Dana Haff's depression over the course of the next four years.

Oh, the Devil can quote scripture for his own purposes.

What I said:

I linked to this yesterday and don't see it. Maybe it was my bad. In any case, I'll try again because I like Kate McKinnon's use of Hallelujah much better than Mr. Haff's. Rest in peace, Hillary and Leonard Cohen.

No comments:

Post a Comment