Monday, March 23, 2015

Green Versus Faux Green

Being both curious and open-minded, I did a web search to discover what the Green Party actually stands for, if anything. I didn't want to judge the whole party simply on the basis of Matt Funiciello. Besides which, I wanted to see how he stacks up as a representative of that party. I was presuming there was an environmental aspect involved and my presumption proved correct.

We support a sustainable society which utilizes resources in such a way that future generations will benefit and not suffer from the practices of our generation. 

We seek to join with people and organizations around the world to foster peace, economic justice, and the health of the planet.

Off the bat, I'm liking that very much. So, I realize there are no perfect Christians, and likely no perfect Greens (except maybe Ed Begley Jr.). I do think it's necessary to take MF to task on his environmental record, though. At some point during the recent campaign, it came to my attention that he drives a Ford pick-up truck. I know someone with a similar vehicle that gets 12 MPG. Driving a vehicle with mileage that abysmal doesn't seem like the action of someone who wants to utilize resources to benefit future generations. 

As discussed previously on the blog, I feel (as do many others) that a meat-free (or greatly reduced meat) diet is the only one that will help sustain our planet. When I look at MF (and no offense, I'm chubby,too), I don't think vegan. In his defense, the 10 key values do not push for a vegetable diet. If they have not been updated to include that, I believe it's a massive oversight. The meat industry is the greatest polluter in the country, surpassing transportation. Tax meat now!

There is also a non-violence plank in the GP values.

We recognize the need for self-defense and the defense of others who are in helpless situations. We promote non-violent methods to oppose practices and policies with which we disagree, and will guide our actions toward lasting personal, community and global peace.

Also liking on that very much. In his interview with The Chronicle, MF stated, "If you don't feel we need to have guns to defend ourselves against tyranny, then you are not paying attention." I suppose you can chalk that up to falling under the defense rubric of GP values. Readers of Hometown blog will realize I see it as crazy talk. As Jim Jefferies says, "You're bringing a gun to a drone fight." When they knock at your door with an MRAP, all you're doing is committing suicide by cop. The non-violent methods part of that principle would be what I prefer to see in a candidate.

Just wanted to touch on the hypocrisy of the Ford Pick-up as well. In The Chronicle interview (a great source of amusement for me) MF chided President Obama for being a corporate puppet due to his getting ACA passed. The government is subsidizing my health insurance to the tune of $273 a month. Yes, I still pay $129, but something beats nothing. Is MF a corporate puppet for driving a Ford?

My dream is that the Democrats find a Volt-driving vegan with a solar paneled home to run in 2016. Let the Green-off begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment