Monday, November 27, 2017

Hometown Christians and Editorial Cartoons

This could be part of a series after the Michelangelo cartoon awhile back. Anyway, here tis:

Cartoon by Adam Zyglis - Roy Moore

And my LTTE:

     I'm writing to question the folks outraged by the use of the creche in the editorial cartoon. It's fine to upset, but doesn't the inspiration for it bother you? No one mentions that. The cartoon doesn't exist in a vacuum. "Take Joseph and Mary. Mary was a teenager and Joseph was an adult carpenter. They became parents of Jesus" (Jim Ziegler, Alabama State Auditor). That's the Holy Family used to defend the candidacy of an alleged sexual predator. I'd hope you're not cool with a moral equivalence between Joseph of Nazareth and Roy Moore. As a regular parishioner, my greater concern is being linked to Christian supporters of Moore.

     I've been told, thankfully not by anyone in my church, that liberals cannot be Christians. That's a stereotype that made me reluctant to return to worship. Luckily, our Judge is not on Earth. In a few weeks, there'll be many attending service that don't normally. There are Christians, thankfully not in my church, who vocally back the policies of Donald Trump and Roy Moore. There are also many who consider the brand of moral justice espoused by Jesus to be opposed to the views of men such as these and want to work toward that. Don't be put off by the loud minority. Come and celebrate His birth. Then come back. "All that the Father giveth  me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out."

I'll see if that gets me crosswise with anyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment