Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Two of Hometown's Usual Topics

Sorry Matt, you didn't make the cut today. First up, more on the Iran deal. This is Josh Marshall with a post on something I've mentioned here from time to time.

It's not so much surprising, if you've been paying attention. But it confirms a basic reality, which is that the hysteria from Benjamin Netanyahu, much of the Israeli political establishment, purportedly 'pro-Israel' conservatives in the US, and others, was never shared by the Israeli defense establishment and, in a real sense, was manufactured BS meant to leverage the U.S. political climate.

I've been paying attention and it's therefore no surprise, but I never get tired of seeing it verified. Since Marshall links to a piece on Benny Gantz, I'll include the hysteria link

“I refuse to get hysterical” about the nuclear deal, he told a gathering of policymakers and analysts in Washington DC Friday morning, in likely reference to official Israel’s excoriation of the agreement.

While Gantz, who ended his tenure as IDF chief in February, said a better deal may have been possible, he also acknowledged the final agreement’s success in putting off a nuclear-armed Iran for at least 10-15 years. Diplomacy, he said, had prevented war from breaking out.

Thanks Josh. Thanks Benny. And thanks John Cole for bringing me some gunwingnuttery that's been missing from the blog lately. Here's the latest victim of political correctness directed at the poor misunderstood gun owner

Over the weekend, a soldier with the National Guard was told to leave his gun outside of the Nicholasville Waffle House or he wouldn’t be served. The situation is now getting national attention.
Billy Welch said that he stopped at the Waffle House Sunday morning for breakfast. He was in his 

Army National Guard uniform and had his gun holstered to his side. After ordering his food, Welch said that a waitress signaled for him to come over.

"I got up and I walked over to them, asked them how they were doing and stuff, and they said I'd have to take my firearm outside,” said Welch. "I don't feel comfortable taking my firearm away from me. I always keep it with me and they said, ‘it's one of our policies.’"

In fairness, it was not the soldier who made a big deal of it. He seemed cool about it all. One of his fellow diners is the one that sent it viral. I can see the logic of not leaving a weapon in your vehicle. But I can see not walking around with one strapped to your hip everywhere you go, as well. I am relieved to know that if I want waffles in Kentucky I can dine in a gun-free establishment. 


No comments:

Post a Comment